Saturday, May 4, 2013

Proud with a capitol P.

Lets start with Thursday. I was supposed to meet my friend for a walk at the track at 5pm. I did not get out of work till 5:30. Normally I would have said “it is too late to exercise”, but I reminded myself of my goal to walk every day until my 5K, even if it is just one mile.  I get outside and it is cold and grey and not very nice out and I realize I did not have a jacket.  (Just go home whispered in my ear)  I went to the track only to discover the students were having lacrosse practice so the track was closed for public use. At this point all signs point to go home.

 I drove home grabbed a jacket and did 1.3 miles in my neighborhood. I have had Katie W ‘s guest post in my head for days now and it just reminds me you have to work hard. You have to keep going. Things are going to get in your way but YOU have to decide to keep pushing forward! I felt great after my walk and I am so proud of how far I have come.

Last year when I started my blog I created a “goals” page. I have not touched nor thought about that page in months. One of the goals I made when I first started running was to “jog down Ohio Ave without stopping.”  Friday on my walk I turned down Ohio Ave just like I always do, and once again Katie W’s inspiring post came to mind, and I just started running. I decided today was going to be the day I completed that goal. There was no reason today could not be THE DAY. I ran passing a man working outside (normally I would have stopped because I get embarrassed running in front of people) I ran passed an unleashed dog who was barking at me, I ran up a few minor inclines on Ohio Ave all the way to the very end.

I thought of stopping every third step. I realized this was the farthest I have ever run on this street and if I stop now it will be good enough, but I didn’t stop running. I ran until I hit the dead end of Ohio Ave. I felt like I was going to die, but I didn’t. My legs tingled with pins and needles but I walked it off. My heart was racing, I was dripping sweat, and I was so proud I could have cried.  Two things dawned on me after completing this goal. One: Holey shit I just completed a goal, I can’t believe how far I have come and how awesome I am. Two: Shit, now that I have done it once there is no reason I can’t do it every time.  Ha ha. That is okay though. To be honest I cannot wait to do it again.

Two years ago weighing well over 300lbs I was miserable. Mentally, psychically, emotionally I was in the lowest place I had ever been. Today I am joining 5k’s and counting Weight Watchers points, and I am the happiest I have ever been.

The boy kept telling me how skinny I looked yesterday so I made him take a pic so I could post it on here. My pants are too big and I am not a fan of the shirt but here it is anyways.
 
June 2010 300+ LBS

May 2013 257lbs
 

2 comments:

  1. Go you!! Love your determination!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! You're doing such an awesome job!! Congrats on meeting a goal!!

    ReplyDelete