Saturday, July 6, 2013

One full week of Carb Cycling

Okay so today is Saturday. It is the last day of my first week of carb cycling. Saturday is weigh-in day and Sunday is a free cheat day. My weigh in this morning showed I have lost 5lbs this week. Fuck yes. Tomorrow I am going to see Zac Brown Band and I am staying at a hotel so thank goodness it is a free cheat day.

On a scale from 1-10 I would say I liked this diet a 6. I only give it that score because I lost 5lbs. It was a lot of work….ALOT! On Sunday I went shopping and spent 135$ on the “approved foods”. On Sunday afternoon I spent almost 3hrs cooking, chopping, washing, measuring, so on and so forth. This was with the boys help.

Day one:  I had a terrible headache and I was starving all day.

Day two:  I still had a headache and was extremely full. I still don’t know how I didn’t vomit, but the protein at every meal was defiantly catching up to me. (According to the book this is a normal reaction from your body during the first three days.) This day I walked/ran at the track for 30min and climbed stairs.

Day three:  I was still kind of full (nothing like day two) but my headache was gone. Over all I was feeling much better.

Day four:  I felt great. No headaches, no fullness. I was actually hungry every three hours and was feeling much better about the diet. I started this morning with push up’s, sit up’s, and squats. I then went for a 2mile walk and did some exercises in the pool in the afternoon.

Day five: I felt great. I feel healthier; I am satisfied with my meals.

Today is day six and I still feel good. I am not sure if I could do this diet long term but I did get what I was looking for (a kick in the face to my diet plateau).

Reasons why I don’t think I could do this diet long term:

1.)    It is a lot of work. Even though I spent three hours prepping food for the week on Sunday, I still spent anywhere from 40min – 60min a day putting the meals together. Mostly because some meals where protein shakes and I did not want to make those until the morning of.  Also since the boy did it with me we went through a lot of food much faster than I expected.

2.)    It is expensive.  $135 a week is a lot of money for food every week.

3.)    Having to eat every three hours can be inconvenient. I felt like the whole week I was watching the clock trying to make sure I ate at the right times. Some days my schedule was funky due to working odd shifts, and I had to eat in my car while driving. Not ideal for me.

Things I liked about this diet:

1.)    I got the effect I was looking for (dropped five pounds)

2.)    I liked eating healthier more wholesome foods. No sugar and no fake sweeteners were allowed. It is all natural -whole grain, not processed foods. (which is why I think I had a headache the first two days, I think that was my body withdrawing from all the crap its used to.

 

Now the question is will I continue this for week two? I still am not sure yet!

I have been so caught up in this diet, prepping food, eating food, prepping food eating food, working working working, that I am relieved and scared for a cheat day. I truly do feel healthier from this week and I am nervous my body will be pissed at me when I fill it with vodka and sandwiches tomorrow. But I am so sick of thinking about my next meal I am looking forward to a day off.

I really think Monday morning when I wake up is when I am going to decide if I will do this for another week.

I will keep you all posted, and I have exciting news that I will share after my concert!

2 comments:

  1. Great job dropping five pounds!! This sounds like something that would be difficult to follow long-term... But it sounds like a great way to jump into healthier eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. This is how I have to eat every day since I have insulin resistance. It takes a while to get used to it, and sometimes I get so sick of meat and cheese I want to scream, but I don't want to be diabetic. My weight loss isn't as quick as yours, but it's quick in comparison to normal insulin resistance (where you lose nothing or even gain weight even with a healthy diet). I lose about 1-1.5 pounds per week and then I stall for a few weeks. So it's slow, but worth it if it means not ending up sick.

    ReplyDelete