Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Scared Straight




I have been struggling since last night with the thought of going to the gym today. I just don’t feel like it. I thought maybe I will do a work out video, but I really like to save those for when I am strapped for time. Maybe I will go to the track again, but I feel like I don’t walk fast enough if someone is not with me. I was kind of in a slump all morning about it. 

During my morning break I ran to a grocery store to grab some fruit for a snack today because I didn’t have any.

What I am about to say is not meant to offend anyone. I am not sure if it is going to sound rude or harsh all I know is that it is the honest truth.

The moment I entered the store I got my motivation.

Walking into the store in front of me was a very short, very obese woman. Before she entered the actual store she had already picked up a bag of potato chips from the promo bins in the entrance and placed them in her cart. Now maybe this woman has been working hard. Maybe this woman has lost 10lbs in the past month. Maybe these chips were her “cheat treat.” I have no idea. All I know is seeing this woman scared me. She was much older then I was and at that moment it dawned on me that if I don’t stay on track that could easily be me. My biggest fear is that I will die a heavy, depressed, lonely woman. It has been my fear for a long time. I feel I owe it to myself and to all the other people struggling with obesity to stay on track. I owe it to myself to keep fighting while I am still young. I have the advantage a lot of people do not have. If I am able to loose this weight I have the ability to prevent so many health issues when I am older. I am grateful I have not had any health issues thus far due to my weight.

My trip to the grocery store snapped me right out of my funk and I have set a goal for myself at the gym today. I am going to change it up a bit to keep it interesting.

Today I will do 20 minutes on what I call “the crazy machine.” I have included a picture of this machine below. I have no idea its real name but it is intense! Last summer when I attended the gym regularly I would use this machine often. The first time I tried it I was only able to complete 3 minutes. I believe the longest I have been on this machine is 30 or 40 minutes.







I will also try a new program setting on the bike today and my goal is 20 minutes. I will end my gym sesh with 10 minutes on the treadmill.

There are people who can not physically exercise. They would give anything to hit the pavement running. I shouldn’t complain about being able to work out and push my body to new measures.

The main reason I exercise is because it makes me feel so good. My drive home from the gym is my absolute favorite part of the day. I see results faster and I all around feel better when I exercise regularly.

I went from dreading the thought of going to the gym, to being excited about trying the crazy machine in a matter of 4 hours. Life is good today.

1 comment:

  1. Just thought I'd send you a comment and say hi - love the blog and I wish you all the best in your journey, I know you'll do great!!
    I've also seen the person in the supermarket (mine's a guy at my work who has to shimmy sideways through doors) and thought jeez I don't want to turn out like that!! Obviously I have no idea of their circumstances but when I see that guy walking down the corridor huffing and puffing carrying three bags of crisps (chips) and two chocolate bars part of me wonders if I should have any compassion!
    Anyways as far as I'm concerned any motivation is good motivation - good luck keep it up and I'll enjoy reading all about your journey!!

    ReplyDelete